Oktoberfest Around the World
Mm, can you hear it? The marches, the polkas, the oompah? The clinging of the 1 litre beer mugs? It’s Oktoberfest time!
Maybe the most popular beer festival in the world, Oktoberfest – started this past Saturday the 21st of September in Munich. In case you’re there or going (it runs until October 6th), please send us postcards (And beer! And gingerbread!). If you can’t go to Munich this year, we’ve prepared a list of places in the world where you can also celebrate Oktoberfest: from Brazil, to Ireland, to Vietnam and Canada.
Oktoberfest Blumenau 2013 (Brazil) from the 3-20 October
The story says the town was founded by Hermann Bruno Otoo Blumenau with the help of 17 other german immigrants. After the Mother Festival in Munich, the Blumenau Oktoberfest is maybe the most important in the world. Everything in Blumenau conspires to get you in the Bavarian mood: the buildings, the music, the food, and of course, the beer.
Oktoberfest Kitchener-Waterloo 2013 (Canada), 11-19 October
On the 11th of October, the streets of Kitchener get crowded with Oktoberfest fans. Parades, costumes, bands, food and, of course, lots of beer.
Oktoberfest Dublin 2013 (Ireland), 19 September-6 October
Another great place to experience the feeling of Oktoberfest in is Dublin, where the Bavarian and Irish spirit merge to create a monstrous but terribly fun party, in which beer is poured into mugs, strength and drinking contests are organized, and a Miss Oktoberfest Dublin is chosen.
And if these places don’t convince you, here’s a more complete list of Oktoberfest festivals around the world:
- New York Oktoberfest 2013 (USA), from the 21st of September to the 6th of October
- Denver Oktoberfest 2013 (USA), from the 27th-29th of September & 4th-6th of October
- Ho Chi Minh Oktoberfest Saigon 2013 (Vietnam), from the 11th to the 19th of October
- Stockholm Oktoberfest 2013 (Sweden), from the 22nd-24th & 29th-31st of August
- Rome Oktoberfest 2013 (Italy), from the 13th-22nd of September
- Calella Oktoberfest 2013 (Spain), from the 28th of September to the 18th of October
How are you celebrating Oktoberfest this year?