Don’t Fly Ryanair Without Reading This First
Is there anything better than finding a super cheap flight? With budget carriers it’s never been easier or more affordable to become a globetrotter. However, sometimes that is only in theory as low cost airlines are notorious for having exorbitant prices if you accidentally pack one too many pairs of socks or slip up on the spelling of your name during the booking process. Because the last thing we want during our travels is to start them off or end them with anything but smooth sailing, we’ve broken down all you need to know about flying with low cost carrier Ryanair.
Important Note: All prices displayed below are per one way flight
1. The Booking Process
Buying the ticket
Depending on what type of debit/credit card you use there is an administration fee applied to your total charge. If you pay with a credit card there is a fee of 2% of the total transaction value
If you would like to be able to board first or reserve a seat ahead of time there are two options available:
- Priority Boarding: starting at €2/£2 per passenger if booked in advance, starting at €4/£4 at the airport
- Reserved/Allocated Seating: Regular seat – €5/£5 per passenger booked in advance, €7.50/£7.50 at the airport. Regular seat with priority boarding included – €7/£7 per passenger booked in advance. Premium seat with priority boarding included – €10/£10 per passenger booked in advance, €15/£15 at the airport.
Special Passenger Rules
If you are pregnant or plan to buy a ticket for a passenger under the age of 16 it is important to know the following information:
- Pregnant Women: Once an uncomplicated pregnancy enters its 28th week, expectant mothers are required to carry a ‘fit to fly’ letter completed by their doctor. This letter should be dated within 2 weeks of your booked flight and presented at either the bag drop desk and/or the boarding gate.
- Children Under 16: Unaccompanied minors under 16 years of age cannot fly with Ryanair. Children under the age of 16 must always be accompanied by a passenger over 16 years. Escort and special facilities are not provided.
Travelling with an Infant
- Infant Fee: €20/£20 per infant, per one-way flight
Please note: The infant must be under 2 years for both legs of the flight (inbound/outbound)
- Infant Equipment: 1 pushchair per child is free, €10/£10 per additional item (booster, travel cot) per one-way flight with a maximum weight of 20kg each item.
Baggage and Equipment
Hand Luggage: Restricted to one item of cabin baggage per passenger and as of December 2013, passengers may also bring on-board one additional personal item (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera, etc.).
- Max weight – 10kg
- Dimensions main piece of cabin baggage – 55cm x 40cm x 20cm
- Dimensions additional personal item – 35cm x 20cm x 20cm
Checked Luggage: If you would like to check baggage the prices differ depending on the weight of the bag and the time of year you are flying. Passengers can check a maximum of 2 pieces of luggage each. Pooling of luggage for passengers on the same booking is allowed, for example, if two travelers have paid for two 15kg checked bags then one of the travelers can bring a bag weighing 17kg and the other traveler one at 13kg.
Prices for checked baggage purchased during online booking process:
- 1st bag (15kg) low season*: €15/£15
- 1st bag (15kg) high season**: €25/£25
- 1st bag (20kg) low season: €25/£25
- 1st bag (20kg) high season: €35/£35
Prices for checked baggage purchased at airport:
- 1st/2nd bag (15kg): €30/£30 (As of December 2013)
- 1st/2nd bag (20kg) low season*: €40/£40
- 1st/2nd bag (20kg) high season**: €55/£55
Important Note: exception to these fees on all flights to/from International Canary Islands (excluding Spanish domestic) and all international Greek routes.
*Low season: 26/04/12 – 31/5/12 | 01/10/12 – 20/12/12 | 05/01/13 – 31/05/13
**High season: 01/06/12 – 30/09/12 | 21/12/12 – 04/01/13
Sports Equipment: €50/£50 per item when booked in advance, €60/£60 when booked at airport (max weight 20kg, bicycles max 30kg and must be contained in a protective box or bag)
Musical Instruments: €50/£50 per item when booked in advance, €60/£60 when booked at airport(max weight 20kg)
2. Once the Ticket is Purchased
Making Changes to the Reservation
- Flight Change Fees: €30/£30 low season, €40/£40 high season (during booking process). €45/£45 low season, €60/£60 high season (at airport).
- Name Change Fee: €110/£110 (during booking process) €160/£160 (at airport)
3. Online check-in
All passengers must check-in online from 15 days up to the deadline of 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure time.
To check-in online: Go to the Manage my Booking section on ryanair.com and print out boarding passes. If you do not have baggage to check, you can go straight to the security check point with your boarding pass.
4. At the Airport
Passengers are required to print boarding passes during the online check-in deadline. Passengers failing to do so will be charged a re-issue fee:
- Boarding Pass Re-Issue Fee: €15/£15 for passengers who have completed online check-in (As of December 2013); €70/£70 for passengers who have not checked-in online at least 4 hours before scheduled flight departure.
Baggage passing the defined weight limits are subject to fees per extra kilogram:
- Excess Baggage Fee: €10/£10 per kg
Hand luggage that does not fit in the bag gauge at the boarding gate will need to be checked:
- Checking Luggage at Departure Gate: €50/£50
All Ryanair flights require passengers to travel with valid documentation.
- Accepted Documents: A valid passport, a valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document, or a valid A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country.
5. On the Plane
- Beverages and snacks aren’t complimentary on Ryanair flights but are available for purchase. Drinks run around €3/£3 and snacks like chips start at €2/£2.
- The Ryanair Magazine is complimentary and free to take with you on all flights.
Have a tip for flying with Ryanair or other low cost airlines? Comment below and share the knowledge.
Ready to go? Read reviews and book your Ryanair flights here.